The town of Brandon is located in Hillsborough County, less than 60 minutes away from the Gulf of Mexico. The history of Brandon, Florida dates back to 1857, when John Brandon arrived at Fort Brooke (now known as Tampa) with his wife Martha Carson and their six sons. In August of 1858, John Brandon bought 40 acres of real estate in the region. After his wife´s death in 1867, John Brandon gave the land to his son, James Henry Brandon, and moved to Bartow. In 1876, James built a home for his wife Joanna on the land. During this time, John Brandon remarried. Together with his new wife, Victoria, they moved back to the region in 1874 and purchased 160 acres of real estate. He named the acreage "Brandon." After his death in 1886, Victoria took an active role in the community and opened the first post office in her home. In 1890, Victoria convinced a Central and Peninsula Railroad civil engineer to survey the region and lay out a town site. The civil engineer surveyed 40 acres of the land and laid out the new town site for Brandon.
During World War II there was little growth in the town of Brandon, but after the war, more people began to move into the area and new businesses began to emerge. During the 1950´s Brandon was booming and new schools were built in the area, including Yates Elementary and Mann Junior High School. During the late 1950´s, Brandon was recognized as a bedroom community that was only minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Tampa. In 1959, the Chamber of Commerce for Brandon was formed and by the early 1960´s, the population of Brandon had grown to 8,000. It was estimated that each day, one new family moved into the town of Brandon during this period. During the 1980´s, Brandon saw rapid growth with the development of the southern region of Brandon and in 1986, I-75 had a dramatic effect on the town´s population, which grew to approximately 100,000.
Today, the greater Brandon area encompasses approximately 196 square miles and is one of the fastest growing communities in Florida. The youthful community of Brandon, along with the neighboring communities of Bloomingdale, Dover, Durant, Limona, Lithia, Mango, Riverview, Seffner, and Valrico is called home by more than 178,000 people. With a focus toward the future, both economic and community development programs continue to flourish in Brandon. Brandon is served by the Hillsborough County Public School and has one public high school, three middle schools, and five elementary schools. Brandon is mostly residential and Brandon real estate offerings include single-family homes, condominiums, and town houses. A number of residential homes are located near lakes and rivers and many offer waterfront and scenic views. The demand for new housing developments continues each day and a number of new residential developments can be found throughout Brandon, including King´s Gate-Shimberg Homes, Lennar, and Brookwood-David Weekley Homes. Today, Brandon has developed into a bustling center of commerce with malls, corporate centers, and various small businesses. Brandon is truly a place with great community spirit and provides it residents with many recreational opportunities. With all this and more, it is no wonder that the Brandon real estate market is booming with activity.
Already registered? Login
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!
*Contact Information NOT Shared*